What to do if child eats peace lily?

Peace lilies, a popular plant, are often questioned about their safety, particularly for children. They are known to be toxic to humans, but it’s crucial to weigh the potential dangers before purchasing one for your home.
Peace lilies are toxic to humans due to their high levels of oxalates in their sap and juices, which strip calcium from the blood, forming calcium oxalate crystals. Consuming a small amount of peace lily may not cause harm, but excessive consumption can cause mouth swelling and vomiting.

Are Peace Lilies Toxic To Humans?

Peace lilies are toxic to humans, and they should not be eaten, including the flowers and leaves. Although small quantities may not be harmful, the plant is considered toxic. Peace lilies are popular houseplants, and young children should not eat parts of them. To prevent harm, grow the plant on an unreachable shelf or not have one until they are older. It is crucial not to leave peace lilies in children’s reach, as they could cause severe illness if they eat some. Keep peace lilies out of reach at all times.
More articles have been written in this field, for example: Are peace lilies toxic to babies? or How much peace lily is toxic to dogs?

Why does my peace lily not flower

What Reactions Do Peace Lilies Cause If Eaten?

Peace lilies can cause various unpleasant reactions, including a burning sensation around the mouth, tongue, lips, and cheeks, which may deter children from trying the plant. Ingesting any part of a peace lily can lead to swelling, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dribbling, and difficulty speaking due to mouth swelling. The plant also causes a chemical reaction in the blood, containing oxalates that absorb calcium from the blood and bond with it, creating calcium oxalate crystals. These crystals can lose functionality in cell membranes and accumulate in the kidneys, causing damage. If ingested in large quantities, peace lilies could be deadly, although this is unlikely in most situations. It is important to be cautious when consuming peace lilies to avoid potential health risks.

What Makes Peace Lilies Toxic to People?

Peace lilies contain oxalate, which can cause health issues if consumed. Adults can manage these effects well if only ingested a small amount, but children are more vulnerable due to their small size and the attractiveness of the leaves and flowers. Peace lilies can cause many children to be hospitalized annually, and while the effects are reversible, it is crucial to keep them out of reach. Once children understand the dangers of peace lilies, explain the dangers to them. Even after this point, it is important to educate them about the dangers of touching or eating them. It is essential to keep peace lilies out of reach and educate them about the dangers of eating them.

read more: Are peace lilies poisonous to humans to touch?

Are Peace Lilies True Lilies?

No, peace lilies are not true lilies, but don’t let that decrease your concerns about their safety. Although true lilies are highly toxic and peace lilies are usually less so, it is still important to treat them as poisonous plants.

How to remove dead Peace lily flowers?

Are Peace Lilies True Lilies?

True lilies belong to the Liliaceae family, while peace lilies belong to the Araceae (Arum) family. Although these families are generally less toxic, they should be treated with caution, especially if you have children or pets, as they can be harmful. Therefore, it is essential to choose the appropriate family for your specific needs.

Will Peace Lilies Irritate The Skin?

Peace lilies may irritate sensitive skin, so it’s important to minimize handling. Wear thin gloves when pruning to protect your skin from sap. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water after touching the peace lily. Avoid touching your mouth or eyes after handling the plant, even if not pruning or re potting. Although it’s unlikely to cause skin irritation through minimal contact, it’s still a good idea to minimize the risk.

What Should I Do If Someone Has Ingested Some Peace Lily?

If a child has eaten a peace lily, it is crucial to take swift action, especially if they are more susceptible to poisoning than adults. Call emergency services, check the amount of the plant, remove leaves or flowers, and remove the plant. Assess the child’s symptoms and take them to the hospital if they experience a burning sensation around the mouth. Even minor symptoms should result in a visit to a medical professional, while more major symptoms like kidney damage may not have obvious signs. It is essential to take a sample of the plant with you to ensure the plant’s health. It is essential to call emergency services if the child’s symptoms are not obvious.

Will a droopy peace lily recover

Will A Peace Lily Cause Vomiting?

Eating a peace lily can cause vomiting, as the stomach may eject the toxic substance, reducing its absorption into the bloodstream. If vomiting persists, seek advice from emergency services before attempting home treatment. Stopping vomiting should only be done if instructed by emergency services.

The choice of plant for a young child depends on personal feelings and circumstances. Safe options like peperomia, spider plant, or string of pearls are recommended. Non-toxic houseplants like peace lily can be beautiful and indoors-friendly, making them a suitable choice.

Can I Still Grow A Peace Lily In My Home?

To ensure the safety of your child, it is essential to keep peace lilies out of reach and teach them not to touch them. Wait a few years for your child to grow a peace lily more safely, but if you are keen on having one, teach them not to touch it and keep it firmly out of reach. Do not grow peace lilies in your child’s room, even if there is a high shelf for it to stand on. Ideally, place them in a room that your child is rarely in. Even older children should be warned away from touching peace lilies, as they may be tempted to try them. The safest option is to keep peace lilies away from kids, visitors, or not have one at all until your house is child-free.


Peace lilies are toxic to humans. An adult may not suffer any ill effects from eating them in small quantities, but a child could get very sick. Both may experience burning skin, swelling, vomiting, and kidney issues if they consume peace lilies in any noticeable quantity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *